INTENSE PULSED LIGHT (IPL) photofacial is a broad spectrum light used to treat brown spots and redness. Oahu Dermatology uses the ICON platform. IPL targets melanin, which reduces pigmentation found in freckles, sunspots, and melasma or hemoglobin in blood cells to reduce redness.
The procedure takes 10 to 30 minutes depending on the areas being treated. Usually, two to three sessions are recommended for freckles and sunspots, and four to five sessions are recommended for melasma treatment.
The IPL Healing Stages, Process & Recovery
What to expect during the IPL healing process:
- Redness lasts for two to five days
- Bruising may last up to two weeks
- Darkened age spots or freckles can last for three to seven days
- Crusting may last up to 10 days
- Treated areas may appear red after the procedure
- Avoid sun exposure one week before and after treatment
- Stop usage of retinoids three to five days before your procedure and seven days after